Main menu
Landlord insurance


jml Home Page
Disability Discrimination Act 2005 in rental property
Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) UK
Electrical Safety in Dwellings
Energy Performance Certificates for rental property
Gas Safety in Rental Properties
HMO's Houses in multiple occupation
How to present your rental property
How Not to present your rental property
Buy to Let - UK
Buy to let - Europe
Selling your Property
Landlord Rental Info
Tenants Rental Info
Renting in Ireland
Lettings jargon
Property jargon
Building Jargon
Movers check list
Property Misdescriptions Act 1991
Property Articles
Student Rental & Student insurance
Condensation problems
Rental Property Insurance for Landlords & Tenants

Landlord - Tenant - Student Insurance

Holiday Rentals

How to market a holiday home
Letting your holiday home
Renting a holiday home? Renters Advice
Emergency Holiday home insurance

Holiday Home Property Insurance

Car Rental 

Car Rental Excess Insurance

Landlord Insurance for Let Properties

This is a most important area that should not be overlooked when Landlords let a property. The risks associated with let properties are significantly different to owner occupied properties therefore you are well advised to use an insurer who specialises in this type of property insurance. An existing, standard, buildings or contents insurance policy on a property owner occupied may not cover the property or contents when it is let, may restrict the cover and or increase the premium. Years ago insurance companies were not happy about covering let property in the UK, but today you have a choice. Homelet - Endsleigh - Rentguard. You can obtain a quote on line and arrange cover on line.

You should remember that the following categories of Insurance for Landlords should be looked at:

Buildings Insurance -This is for re-Build costs - not market valuation. It is essential that your property is adequately insured. Sometimes the re-building value will be considerably lower or higher than its market value. Older properties in the lower priced areas in the UK will cost much more to re-build that their market value.

In the UK many properties are under insured, which means in the event of a claim, insurers will not pay the full amount of the claim. If you have any concerns about the amount of cover you need for re-building contact a professional qualified surveyor. If you have an apartment, the buildings insurance will often be part of the amount you pay out annually for service charges and ground rent. Check out the situation with the block management agents. (See below)

You should also advise and obtain consent to let your property from your mortgage lender, existing insurer and head lessee (for leasehold properties). Failure to obtain written consent from these parties may render your insurance void in the event of a claim.

Many general insurers and mortgage lenders will not cover the property if you intend to place certain categories of tenants in your property i.e. Student, Multiple single sharers and tenants in receipt of State Benefits. Check this out.

Usually buildings policies will provide an element of Employers Liability cover. This covers claims for death or injury to anyone you employ at your property i.e. a gardener, painter etc. If you are letting to students or to tenants in receipt of state benefit the university / local authority will normally require a minimum cover.

It is also essential that your policy includes Property Owners liability cover to a similar limit to cover injury, death or damage to individuals on or adjacent to your property.

When you take out a Buildings Policy the main insured perils should include Fire - Lightening - Aircraft - Explosion - Smoke - Impact - Burst pipes or leakage of oil - Storm or flood - Subsidence damage - Theft- Malicious damage. (Some policies will give the option of malicious damage caused by the tenants - a valuable option for let properties).

Most policies will compensate you for loss of rent following damage from one of the above perils if the property is uninhabitable. Check this out with your block management agent if you have an apartment and don't arrange the buildings insurance yourself

Contents Insurance - A high percentage of owner occupied properties in the UK are under-insured for the contents. Generally individuals place a value of what the contents are worth not what it would cost to replace them with new items.

Most specialist insurers will offer the option of a full contents policy or a limited contents policy. Limited Contents Cover. As many UK properties are let unfurnished / part furnished. A limited contents policy would typically give a fixed limit of cover for items such as: Carpets - Curtains - Blinds - Light fixtures and fittings - Kitchen white goods on a new for old basis.

If your property is fully furnished or the limited contents would cost more than £5,000 to replace, you should have a full contents policy. You would normally select the sum you wish to insure for; again this should be adequate to replace all of the contents on a new for old basis.

Emergency Assistance -This type of cover will provide assistance for the landlord and the tenant in the event of an emergency at the property such as: Failure of the electricity supply - Failure of the cooking facilities - Lost keys - Plumbing problems - Leaking roofs or guttering - Security of doors and windows. Policies will provide parts and labour cover up to a specified amount and either the landlord or the tenant can call a 24hr 365 day Helpline. (Check out the details on offer from the insurance company)

If you have not taken a full management service from your letting agent or do not live near your property this can be a cost effective solution. Please note that that these policies cover Emergency Assistance only and not a repair service through lack of routine maintenance.

Legal Expenses Insurance - Even when using the services of a professional letting agent, problems with tenants can occur. In many cases the tenants personal circumstances have changed during the term of the tenancy. Situations like loss of their job, failure of their business, a relationship break-up, accident or illness will effect the tenants ability to pay the rent or their inclination to move out at the end of the tenancy.

All these situations can be resolved but will usually involve a Court hearing and solicitors costs. Legal expenses insurance will usually cover all of your legal costs, solicitors/barristers fees, Court and bailiffs' costs. Most such policies will cost well under £100, which represent less than 45 minutes of a specialist solicitors time on a normal fee paying basis. The "average" legal cost of a possession hearing in 2001 was £785, many cost well over £1,000.

Rent Guarantee Insurance -These policies are invaluable for many landlords. As a tax deductible premium this will guarantee you receive the rent you are expecting from your property regardless of your tenants personal circumstances, ability or willingness to pay the rent.

If you have a mortgage on the property or have calculated your rental income verses your outgoings this will ensure you do receive your rent. Most such policies will include the legal expenses, as detailed above. You will receive your rent and the legal fees to obtain vacant possession will be covered.

Policies will usually guarantee your rental for a fixed period, typically 6 or 12 months. Some policies will provide additional cover once you have obtained vacant possession until you are able to re-let your policy.

The costs vary from a fixed cost policy or are commonly rated as a percentage of the annual rental figure, typically 3-4%.

©jmlpropertyservices December 2004

Under UK regulations JML Property Services are unable to give advice regarding insurance or assist with changes to insurance policies that you have taken out. You must contact the insurer direct.



Endsleigh has long-established expertise in providing specialist cover for landlords. Buildings and / or contents cover are available with a monthly premium option or as an annual one off payment.

  • Contents only option
  • Extended un-occupancy cover for your buildings/ contents for periods of up to 120 days
  • Optional extra home emergency
  • Accidental damage option available


Rent Guarantee

Endsleigh offers specialist legal expenses and rent guarantee insurance. Endsleigh's policy provides legal defence, legal prosecution and rent arrears cover. Option of either a 6 or 12 month policy available

  • Protection against rent arrears while we handle your repossession claim
  • Action to remove squatters
  • Legal defence cover
  • Easy calculation

Endsleigh Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Endsleigh Insurance Services Limited. Company No: 856706 registered in England at Shurdington Road, Cheltenham Spa, Gloucestershire GL51 4UE


Landlord Insurance with HomeLet

HomeLet is a trading name of Barbon Insurance Group Ltd, Registered Office: 4-9 Highview, High Street, Bordon, Hampshire, GU35 0AX, England who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK. Their FCA Register number is 308724


Why use a letting agent?

  • Landlords and Homeowners often have full time jobs as well as buy to let investments, it is therefore frequently the case that with so many demands on their time they cannot always be available to handle day-to-day events connected with their property
  • If this sounds like you then using a letting agent offering full property management could be an essential and economical way of ensuring the smooth running of a tenancy, while protecting the property and still making a profit.
  • Whilst letting your property through a specialist letting agent is not strictly necessary, a good agent will take some of the effort out of the job of finding and selecting tenants, drawing up tenancy documents, and the day-to-day maintenance of the property.
  • Because you are quite literally placing your property in their hands, the choice of a letting and managing agent is as important as in choosing any other professional such as a solicitor or accountant.
  • Unfortunately demand for property to rent has encouraged many firms and individuals to set up as letting agents many of them are completely unregulated and have little or no experience, do not operate bonded client accounts or are bound by any code of practice. Remember, as the landlord you may be personally liable for any mistakes made by your agent.






Contact Us | Privacy / Cookies Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map

Find us at | | | jml Property Services acts purely as an advertising service for insurance products on this website. We are not insurance brokers and are unable to offer advice or deal with any of our advertisers enquiries . All dealing must be with the insurance company that you will gain access to via a link from this website. jml Property Services are unable to give advice either verbally or in writing regarding insurance or assist with changes to insurance policies that you have taken out. You must contact the insurer direct. We are therefore unable to provide any quotes ourselves as we would be breaking the law. All dealing must be with the insurance company that you will have accessed via a link from this website

jml Property Services - PO Box 80 - Princes Risborough - Buckinghamshire - HP27 0WA - England  - © 2001 - 2018 jml Property Services - All rights reserved